browsing the forum using mobile

Discuss all topics unrelated to sketching, including the forum itself

browsing the forum using mobile

Postby gpathy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:54 am

I was wondering how many of you browse the forum using a mobile? When I try to use the mobile, its very difficult to navigate the site. anyone facing this situation, and consider it an issue to be addressed?
gpathy
Custodian

Re: browsing the forum using mobile

Postby Alitogata » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:32 pm

I don't view the forum on my cell phone, ( I'm of the old, almost traditional school of computing) but I can tell you that phpBB ( the Content Management System of the forum ) has such problems. Is not so compatible with cell phones unless someone makes it so.

Don't you have something else to use, a tablet or something??
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:37 pm

I am the same type too :) less technology .. or at least simple technology! love real pen, ink, paint water :)

I use my laptop most the time to view.. but sometimes while away from it, I am able to get to most of what I do , with my mobile. But certain things are not compatible. as you said phpBB isnt made for mobile out of the box. but with effort we can make it work. if many think its needed that is :)
gpathy
Custodian

Postby mdmattin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:05 pm

I check it on my iphone from time to time, and it's not too bad for looking. I wouldn't want to actually post from the phone, and I don't know if uploading an image file is even possible. It's little touchy trying to click on the tiny page navigation buttons, but doable by zooming in them.
It would be nice to have an interface to make the pictures take the full screen, but you can get the same effect by zooming.
If ever there was a feature I pined for, it would be bulk upload of image files.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:35 pm

How some people manage to read whole sites on the tiny cell phones' screens is something beyond me.. :lol: When I'm tired I read with difficulty even on my fair ( ok not large) sized pc screen and I find quite frustrating to try to navigate with my fingers on touch screens.

For me a cell phone has to be .a talking device. Not the all in one thing that its battery dies exactly the moment you want to talk for something important. :roll:

ETA.. My pc is of the traditional kind, hacked and customized so much that no one can deal with it. I have even compiled the kernel of my customized linux distro. It was a little bit tricky to make it but now it loads the OS in three seconds.. :wink:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:52 am

I sometimes look at the site on my tablet, but I don't even have a smart phone. If amything needs to be done to make the forum mobile friendly, you're the man who can do it! If I touch anything behind the scenes, I'll end up breaking it.
Russ
Custodian

Postby gpathy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:51 am

Matthew you are right, its doable but a bit uncomfortable, but if we do it occasionally I guess its ok.

Marialena, booting in 3 secs! does such a device exist ..wow :)

Russ, sure.. I was just checking if how many of us need this badly, so we can try to setup. Looks like we are all mostly Ok. maybe we should stick with the dictum ...if it ain't broken why try to fix it?!
gpathy
Custodian

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:37 am

gpathy wrote:... we should stick with the dictum ...if it ain't broken why try to fix it?!

I'm on another forum which has just been off the air for a couple of weeks while it was professionally updated; a week after it came back up it still doesn't work without irritations, and the moderator had to give a lot of time. Even when it is fixed, I doubt it will be worth the bother, since the old one worked well and was familiar.

There is however another solution besides a root and branch rebuild of this forum. You can buy the commercial application Tapatalk which acts as an interpreter for reading various kinds of forum on small screens. Before you splash out the money, check whether this particular kind of forum-shell is one of those for which Tapatalk offers a front end, and check some real users' experience, as I don't use Tapatalk (my own semi-mobile use is limited to reading the forum on an iPad in my bath -- I don't even try to reply on the iPad; I simply can't imagine trying to use the small screen of my iPhone) and thus have no hands-on knowledge; I just know that Tapatalk is heavily pushed by the owners of some other fora I'm on.

One possible shortcut that occurs to me is that the browser Safari has a facility, shown as an icon of parallel horizontal lines in the URL panel at the top of the page, for reading the central panel in large text without any ads; the matching facility on this forum would need to be switched on, or added in as a few lines of HTML. I use it all the time on my desktop Mac.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:23 am

Andre..yes..I was thinking Tapatalk and phpBB (the one we use) seems to work with it.. Another simpler option is to use a responsive theme. we may have to work on it to get our look and feel. Will explore more. and if its a simple sure shot solution we can look at it.
gpathy
Custodian

Return to Non-sketch Talk